Friday, 23 September 2016

Getting an agent phone call!!



The time has come, you're expecting The Call. That's a huge achievement so celebrate like there's no tomorrow. After that...sit down and get your business cap on! When you get The Call from an agent who wants to represent your work, there are a lot of things you need to know. The best thing is to be prepared with some questions, so here are a few to start you on your way!


Photo by Kornelia und Hartmut Häfele - http://www.pixeleye.com/, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29308


Agent Questions
 


Is there any more information you need from me or anything else I should send you?

Do you think my manuscript is ready to send to editors now, or do you recommend edits or revisions?

Do you get involved in the editing yourself, or use someone else?  Are you more editorial focused or sales orientated?

What are your likes and dislikes in terms of manuscripts/genres/etc?

How are you planning to circulate my manuscript?  What houses?  What editors?  What strategy?

How does your agency collect fees?  And what are those?

Does this offer only cover this manuscript or would it be other writing I’m working on as well?

How many times do you usually submit a manuscript before deciding that it’s time to move onto another project?

Would it be possible for me to talk to one or two writers you represent?

Also, could you tell me about some sales you have made recently?

What is the best way for me to communicate with you if you become my agent – telephone, email, or mail?

Will I know who has rejected my stories/how will you let me know if they have been accepted?


Now, there will probably be a lot of other questions you want to ask, and you might not get the chance to ask them all on the phone. But remember, you can email any follow up questions you have. Don't worry about asking these sorts of things - agents expect it and you need to know for your future career!

If you've got The Call coming - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment