Friday, 4 October 2013

A-Z of books

Eeep!  I have stolen the concept of this post from a fellow author (Kelley Harvey) and so it's posted here.  It's so much fun!  Let me know your answers to some of the questions in the comments section below!


Author You’ve Read The Most Books From
Stephen R Donaldson (because at least one of his series is 10 books long!).


Best Sequel Ever
This is a toughie for me.  I'd say the The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson really floated my boat in terms of sequel books.  That being said,  Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams is definitely a huge contender.  As is the amazing Harry Potter series by JK Rowling.  Eek!  Too many choices!


Currently Reading
You Against Me by Jenny Downham (she wrote a haunting YA called Before I Die, and this is her latest work, so I'm really hopeful it's as good!).


Drink of Choice While Reading
Full fat Coca-Cola - is there anything else??!


E-reader or physical book?
100% Physical book. I understand and appreciate the place of e-readers, but I neither own nor want one.  Paper is where books come alive for me.


Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School
I don't think there is one, actually.  I don't look at the romance in books to be honest.


Glad You Gave This Book a Chance
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg.  It's written in a fairly archaic way and it's difficult to get into, but stick with it.  Honestly.  It's the most compelling, intelligent, and thematic book I've ever read.  I adore it and have read it well over 30 times (and that's a low estimation).


Hidden Gem Book
My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates.  It's an amazing read.


Important Moment in Your Reading Life
Reading My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates and realising that there are so much more options in how you write the story you want to tell.  The same applied when reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.  It hit me with such raw emotion.


Just Finished
Effortless With You by Lizzy Charles.  A really sweet YA Romance from a newly published fellow author, who happens to be one of my CPs.  A lovely read.




Kinds of Books You Won’t Read
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a particular fan of romance.  However, based on my answer above, it's evident that I can read in that genre (and really like it!).  I wouldn't say there is a book I wouldn't try.  I'm open to giving any book a fair shot, that way sometimes a surprise comes my way!

Longest Book You’ve Read
I never notice page length when I'm reading, but some books just feel long.  I can't think of one off the top of my head, but there have been a few.


Major Book Hangover Because of
The Harry Potter series.  I did not sleep on any of the books.  Some writers laugh at this, like somehow it's not good enough, but that series worked for a reason.  It's damned good.


Number of Bookcases You Own
I don't have ANY!  I have shelves.  I lost a lot of books when I moved country, and I also give tons of books away, as once I've read them, I like other people to get the pleasure of them.


One Book You Have Read Multiple Times
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg.




Preferred Place to Read
Next to a window with a beautiful view.  I also like to lie in my hammock and read.


Quote That Inspires You:
I don't think there's just one quote that inspires me, as it changes depending on what stage I am in life, and what my current learning curve is.  At the moment, it's about gratitude and remembering what you have in life:







Reading Regret
That I haven't read all of the classics.  I mean to, but I haven't.


(Complete) Series You Started and Need to Finish
I'm pretty good at finishing series, so nothing comes immediately to mind.


Three of Your All Time Favourite Books
The Private Memories and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
My Sister, My Love by Joyce Carol Oates
Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


Unapologetic Fangirl Filthy Stalker Of
Tabitha Suzuma (if you read this, Tabitha, I don't mean in a weird sort of way!  lol).


Very Excited for This Release More Than All the Others
Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein.  I am very excited about this, as from what I've seen, this is going to make a huge splash!


Worst Bookish Habit
Not reading the back book blurbs properly as I'm too keen to get the book into my grubby little hands!


X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book
I don't have 27 books up there (the shame!).  I give my books away often.  But...I will count until it gets to 27...so... it's the Gods of Atlantis by David Gibbens (a book I picked up on holiday but haven't read yet).


Your Latest Book Purchase
You Against Me by Jenny Downham


ZZZ-Snatcher Book (last one that kept you up way too late)
Every book in the Harry Potter series, and every book in the Hunger Games series.

9 comments:

  1. I love getting to know my friends a little better! Thanks for doing this and giving me a peek into FIONALAND. And just so you know, you make me feel selfish with all my bookshelves, because I'm stingy and don't give away my books, though I will loan them out.

    ALL the CP Love, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep! I am so glad you liked it. It was a great survey to do. I give dozens of books away, especially if I know people can't afford them, or get access to them easily.

      Delete
  2. This is such a fantastic way to learn more about someone! Thanks Fiona for sharing and Kelley for prompting. I'm so stealing this post idea, by the way. And thanks for the mention Fiona! I can't wait for you to be able to read BECOMING JINN! 2015, come soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to link me to anything you what promoted for Becoming Jinn! And looking forward to seeing your A-Z post!!! :-)

      Delete
  3. Love this! And I agree (how can you not?!), Harry Potter is AMAZING and kept me up into the wee hours many a night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I'm totally stealing this too!

      Delete
    2. Steal, steal, steal, my pretty! *insert evil cackle* And yes, Harry Potter totally rocks my world. :-)

      Delete
  4. Love this!

    Full fat Coca-Cola made me laugh out loud. So with you on that one. If you take the sugar & calories out of the Coke, what's the point?

    Totally agree on the Harry Potter & Hunger Games series. Many sleepless nights reading those books, which over the years I've read more than once.

    Where we differ is on the e-books. Still adore paper books, and if I really love a book, I have to have a hardcover copy of it, but my family now has 7 Kindles. Getting to the point that we may have to get a bookshelf to store them. ;) Love finishing a book, searching other titles & downloading a new book in a matter of minutes from my bed.

    Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! *Coca-Cola can bump* :-). And I think J.K Rowling gave many of us a sleepless night!

      You know, as much as I protest for the use of paperback...I've never actually read a book on a kindle. Maybe I'll have to try one day!

      Delete