Sunday, 27 January 2013

Why you should pass it on...

I've been fortunate enough to have some time lately to reflect upon the importance of why passing on acts of kindness is so important in the writing world.


Writing can be one of the loneliest career choices.  Even when you have other writer friends to boost you, sometimes it feels like that WIP just won't ever do what you want it to do.  No matter how many ways you think about it, it can wriggle out of your grasp.  Sometimes you have the best idea, then can't articulate what you want to say.  Sometimes you can't even remember the damned idea.  And when you do finally get that WIP into some sort of shape, you have no idea how to get an agent or publisher to read it.

And then come the doubts.

Fear.  Tears.  A huge lack of confidence.  And an inner battle over whether you should even bother trying when it all seems so uphill.  That's when people tell you to put your shoulder to the rock and push.  But sometimes, it feels like the rock just gets you back:





And that's when a little act of kindness from someone else can really make a huge difference.  Whether it's a surprise critique, a little boost to an agent, a mention of a contest, or a supporting email to let someone know that you're there if they need you...it all mounts up.

So this is my message to all of my friends and followers.  If you can, please do an act of kindness towards one of your fellow writers today.

This post is in HOMAGE to Brenda Drake - http://brenleedrake.blogspot.co.uk/.  Because, seriously, this woman is perhaps the most giving women to aspiring writers that I have ever met.  Woman - you're a saint!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I can't believe how much she gives. It's amazing!

      Delete
  2. Great post and such a good reminder :) And yes, Brenda is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by! It always makes me so happy when I see your little face pop up by the messages! :-)

      Delete
  3. As always, great post, Fiona! I agree, Brenda is amazing... as are YOU. You inspire me to give more. Thank you for being the awesome person you are and I feel incredibly blessed everyday that I call you 'friend' and the cherry on top is that you're also my CP! Fan-freakin'-tastic. All the CP love!

    ReplyDelete