Thursday, 27 September 2012

Filling the Writer's Well

This weekend, I have decided to fill my writing well.  I am making a writer's date with myself and going out to stock up on my memory bank of images, smells, tastes, sounds and textures.  I am off in search of interesting situations and snippets of real life dialogue.  My notebook will be safely stowed in my bag and I fully intend to immerse myself in the real world.

Why?  Because a good writer needs a healthy stock of vivid memories to pull from when creating their novels.  And if you don't keep topping the well up with fresh images then pretty soon it's going to run dry.

So what are you going to do to fill up your writing well?

I know what I'm doing - I'm climbing Ben Nevis mountain in aid of Yorkhill Sick Children's Hospital.  I wonder if one of my characters might do the same in future.

Feel free to donate (I'm doing it in aid of my God son Aarron):  http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/doingitforaarron

For now...enjoy the view!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Fiona, I'm glad you felt like the critique was helpful from PitchOn.

    I also love this post. This is such a good reminder to soak in the world around us so we have more to pour back out on paper.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Your critique was SUPER helpful. Gave me lots to think about.

    I must admit, walking up Ben Nevis sure fired the images in my head. I'm ready and raring to go in my writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete